Saturday 18 June 2016

Help me solve the mystery of the first Dingo Memorial


In September 1978 a memorial was erected near the entrance gates of the then Joseph Banks Fauna Reserve, Bathurst NSW and believed to be the first memorial to a Dingo.


 

Donated by   Queensland Friends of the Earth is was made of red and blue granite and recalled an incident, recorded by explorer John Oxley, about a female dingo’s attachment to her mate. It was installed by local stonemason Allan Greenhill.

Bathurst Council told me they have no record of the memorial and it does not appear on the Bathurst Council 1997 Survey of Sculptures, Memorials and Outdoor Cultural Material.

The reserve was transferred to the Bathurst Aboriginal Land Council in about 2009 and they tell me Council took everything out before handing over the land.

I am trying to find out more information about the memorial – what happened to it, what was the inscription and do any photos exist.

The Western Star Newspaper ran a small article on 25th September 1978 but tell me I would need to visit their archives in Dubbo to see if any photos were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment